Thursday, March 26, 2009

Communication and Snow

Sign language. It worked really well with Sam, Alice and Paige. Sam signed the least because he was talking in sentences by 18 months. Alice could sign everything she needed and didn't talk quite as early as her talkative older brother. Plus, he said everything for her so why did she need to speak :) Paige was right in the middle with signing. She knew all the necessary signs and used them until her words worked better.
We started using signs with Mason right away. I was hoping that it would start to eliminate the uh-uh's and point and grunt actions. We have been home less than a month and he already knows 8 signs and uses them without prompting most of the time. His first sign was birdy. We started using it while we were staying at the White Swan. They have a great bird cage that he loved. Every time we would get close, he would start signing birdy, birdy. He also knows more, all done, please, book, eat, milk, and up.
Of course I think he is a genius! Scott does too but he thinks that maybe someone taught him the signs before we came into the picture. That is how good it is working :) I am happy because it has eased the frustration related to the communication gap. Of course, we don't know Chinese and he doesn't speak English yet so I am hoping we have found a common ground for the time being.
If you are interested, we used Sign with Your Baby by Joseph Garcia. I received the box set while pregnant with Sam. It comes with a DVD and booklet with great drawings of all the signs.
A couple days before we traveled, the kids and I watched the video and practiced. They have been great at doing the signs as well.

On to the snow......
Blizzard warning. That is what our trusty meteorologist is saying. It is snowing and pretty blustery outside. Of course, we are staying inside and watching movies. It is the perfect day for cozy clothes, warm blankets and Disney films. Unfortunately, the toddler in the family hasn't gotten the memo about curling up on the sofa and watching a movie in its entirety. Pretty sure that applies to all toddlers. I don't care if it snows all day and night, we have nowhere to be. Now, I am hoping for sunny and 65 degrees on Monday, the day I drive to Greeley.

Aren't you impressed? I am blogging two days in a row and I have Mason on and off my lap. Don't get too excited, I can't promise too much :)

Have a wonderful day!
Jennifer

No comments: