Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Middle of the Week Recipe {Kale Chips}

The people in the grocery store are beginning to thinks something is seriously wrong with my kids.
I have stopped taking them into the produce section.  Just kidding.  But it has crossed my mind.
My kids beg for kale.  They cry if I don't buy it.  Pleeeeeaaaassssseeeeee......buy kale today, Mom!!!

The real reason for the begging and pleading is kale chips.  Yummy, crunchy, salty kale. KALE?!?!?!?  
Yes, that kale. The leafy green (kinda strong and sour) kale.  It makes some good chips.  Try it, you'll like it. 
If I make a batch of kale chips, they are gone in like 10 seconds. I don't even get the chance to put them in a bowl. They are gone, straight off the baking sheet. 

I wanted to take a picture of these yummy kale chips but my husband put the rest of the kale into our kids' morning smoothie.  It took a few tries but now they have embraced the kale, broccoli, berry, banana smoothie. Just another good use for kale. 

So, obviously, this is not MY recipe but it is an easy, inexpensive, healthier way to snack.  

Here's the deal:
Buy a bunch of kale.
Wash it. Dry it. I put mine in the salad spinner to get extra water off.
Cut off the leafy part into chip sized pieces.
Lay them flat out on a baking sheet.
Lightly coat with olive oil spray (or toss in olive oil and then lay them out on baking sheet)
Sprinkle with sea salt (sometimes I get crazy and add other spices like seasoning or garlic salt, your call) 
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or so.  Don't let them burn!  
Enjoy.

P.S. Again, not my recipe.
P.S.S. Don't put them in your kids lunchbox. They do crumble very easily. 
P.S.S.S. I am still waiting on some of YOUR recipes :)

I am going to try some other veggie chip recipes this week.  Any good ideas?

No comments: