Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Getting close...

Well, we are nearing the end of summer vacation. There are 8 days left.  I am trying to be positive and enjoy that last few days with my kids before we go back to the routine of school and fall activities.  The truth is I am really sad about the whole thing.  I am sad that Paige is going to Kindergarten and won't be home with me any longer.  I am sad that Sam is going to 3rd grade and moving up with the big kids.  I am sad that my sweet Alice is growing up and seems more like a 7th grader than a 2nd grader.  I am also really excited for all of them and the places that they are going.  I will not cry, I will not cry, I will not cry.  Who am I kidding, I am going to ball like a baby. If you happen to have been there when Sam went to kindergarten, well, let's just say, it wasn't pretty.   He was screaming, I was doing the ugly cry.  Sooo, I am getting all the crying out this week.  If I see one more commercial for school supplies....Okay, now I am better and ready to blog about all the positive things we are doing before the fist day of school.
In sticking with our summer schedule we finished our mural as our art project yesterday.  Sam added an anemone, Alice painting a school of blue fish and Paige completed the bottom of our mural with seaweed.  They were very proud of their creation and have already decided that we will paint a beach scene next summer.  They informed Scott last night at the dinner table that they would like to put it on the gym wall.  He didn't seem quite as excited as them.  Huh?! I wonder why?!?!?






Today we headed out for a field trip to the Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center in Woodland Park.  Kids (my kids anyway) are always enthralled with dinosaur bones and fossils.  This museum focuses most on dinosaurs found in North America and Colorado. 
My favorite line from today came from Sam.
Sam:  Hey Mom, that Megalodon makes a Tiger Shark look like  goldfish. 
Me: What's a Megalodon?
Sam: Mom, really.

Check out their faces.  They were pretending to be scared of the dinosaur.  Too funny. 



After my enlightenment at the Dinosaur Museum we headed to the park for a picnic and a bit of running around.  A great field trip day.  Not sure where we will end up next week but I am trying to think of something really fun for our last day before the start of school. 
----------------------------------------------------

The past weekend our kids finished up swimming at the state competition. Our team hosted the event this year so everybody had to chip in and help out in some way.  Alice swam two events on Friday and Sam swam three events, one Friday, one Saturday and one Sunday morning.  I was so proud of both of them.  Way to go, Sam and Alice! You guys rock!!! 

Have a great Tuesday! Tonight Sam will be competing in his final duathlon of the summer. 
Jennifer

1 comment:

Papa G said...

What lucky kids. What fun you guys have had this summer. We hope school goes as well, which I am sure it will. the mural looks great guys and girls!! Enjoy the rest of summer vacation and Sam good luck on your last swim/run. Let us know how you do!

Love Grandma and Papa G