Friday, October 12, 2012

Make a list

Every year, as you all know, I dread the start of school.  What I really dread the most about school starting is the morning routine.  I end up using my "ugly voice" and somebody under the age of 10 cries.  It isn't pretty.  I hate it, they hate it, and nothing gets done.  So this year, we made a morning list a couple days before the start of school.  We did a trial run and have been working to the list ever since.  The list is a great tool for all the kids.  They are constantly checking it to see where they are and what needs to get done.  One hard rule: they may not eat breakfast until the list is done.  That is a huge consideration for them.  You know how my kids love to eat.  They don't want to miss a meal.
The list has changed our lives. Too dramatic?  Okay, so at least it has changed our mornings.  We still have the occasional crier but rarely are we hearing from the ugly voice.  My kids work to a list really well.  I am not sure why we didn't do it sooner. Oh well, live and learn.  And drink.  No, just kidding....maybe.
The best things about this list?   Everything gets done and I don't do it.  They do it all and get it done earlier than later.  I don't pack snacks, start showers, make beds, throw dirty clothes into hampers or stir oatmeal.  They do it and have taken ownership of it.  It goes so smoothly (most of the time) that I think I could add in another kid.  Just checking to see if Scott is reading :) 
Anyway, we are loving our list.




Part of the list thing is that I also learn to let some things go.  Like comforters on upside down:)
BTW, Mason's bed is not shown but he always makes his bed, even on the weekends, bless his heart, before 6 o'clock in the morning.  Oh, and he does get a bath.  We just do that at night :)

Have a great day!
Jennifer

1 comment:

Papa G said...

Don't let Grandma Peggy see this or I might be in trouble! Great pics. The first one is a wall hanger and the little darlings too! See you real soon!

Love Papa G