Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Middle of the Week Recipe

What am I going to cook for dinner?!?!?!?!?
Just like me, I am sure that you get tired of making the same meals over and over again.  Because we primarily eat a plant based diet, it gets hard to come up with dinner meals that make everyone happy.  Okay, so if you know me, you know that I don't really worry about making everyone happy but it is nice when it happens :)  I make one meal every night. If you don't like it there will be another meal in the next few hours.  I wrote a post about feeding my kids a while back.  You can read it here if you are interested.  We have eliminated meat (with the exception of some fish) and dairy from our diet.  If you are interested in why we started eating this way, send me a message :)  That is a whole different blog post!


Sushi rolls.  Without fish. In case you were wondering.

This is one of the easiest meals I make and EVERYONE in my family loves it. When I make this I usually end up rolling the entire package of nori sheets (ten sheets).

I cut up carrots, cucumbers, mango, avocado, cilantro, green peppers and finely sliced ginger (I cut them the size of matchsticks).

I make brown (or white, depending on what I have in the pantry) rice and then let it cool a bit.  I have also substituted quinoa for rice and that is just as yummy although it doesn't roll as tight because it isn't sticky. The white rice is definitely the stickiest and rolls up the tightest.  If this is your first time trying it you might want to go with the white rice.

Set out a nori sheet (dried seaweed) on a cutting board or something that doesn't slip.

Place a row of rice/quinoa along one end of your sheet and then place the veggies (any combination) on top of the rice. Then roll.  I hear at the sushi places they have a sushi roller but I just use my hands and it works pretty well.

I put the rolls in the fridge for a few minutes before cutting them. They seem to slice better once cooled a bit.

Please remember that I am not a chef and not even a great cook :)  Good luck!!!

I serve the rolls with soy sauce and wasabi paste.  The wasabi paste is super duper hot.  My kids put a little on their fingers, taste and then freak out running for the water.
My kids also love edamame as a side to their rolls.  Actually, we love edamame pretty much any time with any meal.

Our favorite combination is the mango/avocado/cilantro. Oh Yum!!!!

For those of you with blogs (you know who you are!) please post yummy recipes.  My kids love to try new things and sometimes I don't have the energy to google another vegan recipe. I just don't.

Happy rolling!
Jennifer


1 comment:

Papa G said...

Sounds good if you could just get rid of the seaweed!!